Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Adventurous Drive

For this post I wanna tell about the journey that I went through last week to pay my Tok Wan a visit. The journey began from Kerteh at 1.30pm, and finished in Jitra at 10.30pm! It's a 9 hours journey, which includes 3 times stopping at toilets to pee, and one time to fill up the gas! This has to be THE ultimate driving journey for me! I drove all alone and I did not stop for a meal coz most of the area that I passed by was like in the middle of nowhere.

The route that I took passed through Kerteh, Dungun, Rantau Abang, Marang, Kuala Terengganu, Jerteh, Machang, Tanah Merah, Jeli, Grik, Pengkalan Hulu, Baling, Kuala Ketil, Sg Petani, Alor Star, and finally Jitra. I passed through the 4 states: Terengganu, Kelantan, Perak & Kedah. The total distance covered was about 600km, and it was the first time for me to drive along that route!

The stretch from Kerteh to Kuala Terengganu is so beautiful coz it runs parallel to the coast. You get to see all these fishing villages and swaying coconut trees with the South China Sea as the background.

Around Jerteh area, there was a road block. The policemen asked me to stop to the side, and told me that I had exceeded the speed limit of 70kmph(I drove only around 87kmph). Damn! He asked me whether I can afford to pay the RM150 summons for speeding, and of course, I said no. Then he asked me, "How much can you pay?". The moment he said that, I knew that I have to pay him, and I gave him RM50. Damn all these policemen, makan duit haram! I really don't wanna support this kinda thing, but RM150 is too expensive! Takpe la, maybe kali nie aje..

When I was about to drive off, a Kancil with a female driver was asked to stop, also for speeding. After less than 5 minutes talking to the policemen, the female driver miraculously tak kena saman, and she did not even has to bribe him! So unfair! Ggrrrr!!!!!

But the best part of the journey has to be from Jeli(Kelantan) to Grik(Perak) coz that is the East-West Road. It's about 100km, and cuts through the center of mountainous Titiwangsa Range. The road along that stretch was so beautiful, but it was really empty. I even heard people telling me not to use that road late in the day, coz sometimes wild elephants will be crossing the road! I thought it was just rumours, but I actually saw a few places with signboards warning drivers of wild elephants. Nasib baik tak jumpe, kalau tak harus jadik the shock of my life!

From Kedah back to Kerteh, I used to PLUS Highway and headed back KL first, before used the East Coast Highway via Kuantan. My god! It's like a round-a-bout through Peninsular Malaysia!

I took several pictures along the journey, but I'm so disappointed coz my camera ran out of batteries near the East-West Road! Damn!

I am so proud of myself for being able to complete the long and adventurous journey. But most importantly, I managed to reached the destination safely.


Image hosted by Photobucket.com
The long and really straight road along Rantau Abang..

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
The unique vegetation around Rantau Abang..

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Nice malay style wooden houses with beachfront...

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Wooden houses with beachfront...

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Terengganu's version of Malibu...

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Pulau Kapas in the background...

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Kuala Marang..

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
The white-coloured floating mosque..

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Crossing Sungai Terengganu with Kuala Terengganu in the background..

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Sungai Kelantan..

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
My grandma a.k.a. Atok Kedah....

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Atok Kedah's blue house....

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Driving back to KL....

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Passing by my ex-hostel at a boarding school....

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
My boarding school's entrance....

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Sawah padi....

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Storm in the making....

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Alor Star's skyline....

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Kedah's Masjid Negeri....

10 comments:

shell said...

i missed msian beaches.. isk isk..

kr|nch said...

Ouch! It was soo unlucky for you for not having your camera when you pass through the Grik-Jeli highway. Love to see the greens there!

shobshob said...

hey shell, yeah malaysian beaches & islands are SO lovely.. but since i'm living in kerteh, sometimes i kinda take it for granted.. hehe.. you're in germany right now huh.. are you a malaysian, or a foreigner that has been here?

hey kr|nch, yeah i was SO disappointed coz i don't think i'll be using that road probably for years to come.. the reason i used it last time was because of emergency..

neve said...

isk...kena saman kat jerteh?? demm..that's my hometown..malunye..

shobshob said...

hahaha... but takpe2, certain polis aje macam tu... orang jerteh semua baik2 kan? :)

shell said...

saya anak msia :)

kepala_angin said...

lovely, lovely photos..

beautiful scenery to keep you company for such a long drive huh..
i agree that terengganu has the most beautiful coastline in malaysia, white sandy beach.

shobshob said...

hey shell, oo anak malaysia rupanya... hehe..

hey kepala angin, thanks for the praises.. and yeah, having a beautiful scenery like that really helps to keep me awake while driving.. hehehe..

Firash said...

bosh, fira ni..yaperdaaa. aku ade kat alor star all along..kalau tak leh deting ngan kau..chihihihi

shobshob said...

lor... awat tak habaq awai2... heheh maybe takde rezeki..